History of The Cerebral Palsy Center:
Beginning in the 1940s in Knoxville, Tennessee, a group of families with children with cerebral palsy created a support group in a room at St. Mary’s hospital. This support group grew into a clinic that provided medical and physical restoration services. In 1954, the clinic became a fully chartered agency called the Cerebral Palsy Center. In 1963, it was realized that the needs for children and adults with disabilities were very different. The organization split into two separate organizations: East Tennessee Children’s Hospital Rehabilitation Center to serve children with disabilities and the Cerebral Palsy Center to serve adults with disabilities.
The Cerebral Palsy Center is committed to helping individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities have the chance at a fulfilling life with as much independence as possible.